I know this isn't energy based but I think this is too important to pass up.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/05/12/arizona.ethnic.studies/index.html?hpt=T2
This link leads to an article at CNN talking about a new law from our most progressive state, Arizona. This time, instead of sanctioning state run racial profiling and discrimination, they now have decided to retcon history and refuse teaching "ethnic studies" that paints the US in a bad light. SB1070 was terrible, but this is unbelievable! Arizona has signed into action a law that will ban the teaching of Native American history focusing on the abuses by the US government, such as the rape and murder of native populations, and the breaching of numerous treaties. Latino-American studies focusing on the oppression of Latino peoples, and any teaching that paints a positive outlook on groups such as the Black Panthers could feasibly be banned as well.
I want to get all the opinions of the people in the group here and I hope to hear from other students in the class as well.
-Schu
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In my opinion, this IS energy-based. The energy that people have spent working on this ridiculous bill, opposing it, and everything about it, we're all using human energy. It's government energy as well, and as we know that's quite limited.
ReplyDeleteI honestly don't really know what to say about this bill. It's shocking, but at the same time not. People are just disgusting sometimes. They should be offering MORE classes about different cultures. I mean if they're going to cut out all the classes that promote "resentment towards a race or class of people", I don't feel they'll be allowed to teach any history at all! Native American studies are exempt by Federal Law, but they defiantly don't go into any details of their oppression. I remember in elementary school I was taught that most of the Natives were accidentally killed by simple illnesses. I know this was true to some extent, but we never learned the dirty truth. Also, they will still be teaching classes on World War II. To my knowledge, anything students learn is about how evil Nazi's are for causing the Holocaust...but then again Arizona loves Nazi's.
.
ReplyDeleteJust one more example of how Arizona is allowing overtly discriminatory policies to be enacted. I'm not surprised to see this type of debate happening and this reform being pushed through by the state legislature. I would like people to watch one of John McCain's campaign videos as senator of this wonderful state if they have not already seen it.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0lwusMxiHc
This video titled "Complete the Danged Fence" is testament to the political theory that instantiates Arizona state law. With this form of dehumanizing rhetoric coming form their political party, the discriminatory policies and decisions we have seen are inevitable.
I think banning classes on the basis of their content is abhorrent and I am glad that the city of Seattle has voted to boycott Arizona.